Monday, September 28, 2009

honest scrap

Aidan from Ivy League Insecurities, a blog which I found recently and have been enjoying thoroughly, tapped me with "The Honest Scrap Award" for sincerity in blogging... very exciting since I'm incredibly new to this and still don't know what I'm doing (nor that anyone actually reads this...) So I'm supposed to post ten things about me, which shouldn't be too hard, because while I try to be honest in what I blog about, I have stayed away from posting too much personal information yet (is it possible to be a shy blogger?), so this is actually a great opportunity. And thank you so much Aidan for the very nice gesture, as I'm sure many new bloggers find out themselves, it's amazing to be noticed, and recognized, by someone whose words you look forward to every day.


So here goes, 10 honest things about me:

1. I've gotten sucked into way too many tv shows this season, and I'm dangerously close to having no life at all. 

2. I'm bilingual (I studied spanish literature), and working on italian and dutch -- learning languages is a sort of random natural talent which I am quite happy to have, and make the most of.

3. One of the best choices I've ever made I think was taking night classes after I graduated when I was first starting out in "the real world". After being wrapped up in completely abstract academic pursuits, it was fantastic to work with my hands again and take classes that I came away from with concrete skills and projects.

4. I'm actually grateful to have had an illness and surgery when I was a bit younger (I'm ok now), because it gives you a kind of perspective on things, uncovered a certain strength I never thought I had, and it taught me something valuable -- that things don't always turn out the way they're supposed to, and that's ok.

5. I don't trust city buses, after I once got on one that was the right number but going in the wrong direction, in the middle of the night, in a foreign country. Probably one of the stupidest things I've ever done, so yeah I'll stick with subways, taxis, and my own two feet for getting around.

6. I am (distantly) related to Sara Lee and Herman Hesse. 

7. I still have no idea what I want to do career-wise, long-term or short-term; I sometimes think I'm just figuring out a lot of things I don't want to do, process-of-elimination-style.

8. One of my guiltiest pleasures is seeing famous actors live on Broadway, and how excited I get about it. I shouldn't be so starry-eyed, but it adds a lot of fun to the experience somehow. No shame. Just don't get me started or I'll name-drop everyone I've seen....

9. I haven't had my hair cut in over a year -- my trusted stylist's rates went waaaay up and I haven't been able to justify going. It's getting bad though.

10. I seem to like buying new books much more than I like finishing the ones I already have... so there are countless unfinished books all over the place. 


 I'm going to hold off on tapping other bloggers until I get a little better acquainted with this blog world (I promise not to forget) -- but in the meantime I look forward to reading the other lists that the bloggers come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers